VaporBrothers Hands Free Vaporizer Review
Staff Review Mark Philipps -- VapeNow.com
November 14th, 2008
The VaporBrothers Hands Free Vaporizer has been a solid performer for quite some time. It’s a tried, tested and true product that does not disappoint. A learning curve and patience are required at first but are well worth it when you experience the vapor and taste this unit produces. A pure ceramic heater ensures you will only inhale the vapors you want. This review discusses the pros and cons, operation, and cleaning of the VaporBros Vaporizer.
Pros & ConsPros:
- Very efficient
- Long, food grade tubing
- Glass pieces used at both ends of whip
- Ceramic heating element
- Easy to use
- Extras included are nice, especially the bamboo stir-stick
- Herbs may become dislodged due to angled heater
- No temperature indicator
- Takes approx 5 minutes to heat up
- A steep learning curve at first
THE BOTTOM LINE: The Vapor Bros is a very good vaporizer once you learn how to use it. By this, I mean that it’s easy to use but it’s difficult to find the “Sweet Spot”, in terms of temperature and breathing technique. There are 2 ways to control this vaporizer’s temperature; with your mouth and with the dial. The faster you inhale, the cooler the air temperature is on the herb. The slower you inhale, the hotter the air temperature is. You also must use the dial to set the temperature of the ceramic heater. It seems most people use it between 11 and 1 o’clock. Don’t let this information scare you though. This is an extremely popular vaporizer and every vaporizer has a learning curve. Once you figure out the best position for the dial and the speed you want to inhale to get the most vapor, you won’t want to turn this unit off.
- Base/Heating Coil:
The hot air is created by a ceramic heating coil (encased in glass) in the front of the wooden box. The wooden box is made of, you guessed it, wood! Seriously though, the box is visually appealing and doesn’t have to be hidden away when not in use. The black knob on the front of the box, controls the temperature of the coil. As mentioned above, most people turn the dial so that it’s pointing approximately to the 12 o’clock position. The heating coil takes about 5-7 minutes to heat up before you are ready to vaporize.
Dimensions: The wooden box is approximately 3.5” Wide x 5” Tall x 6" Deep.
The whip consists of 2 glass pieces and food grade tubing. The glass mouthpiece, at one end of the tube, is small and has a small hole at the end of it to inhale from. At the other end, you’ll find the filling chamber. You point the filling chamber up (so that the end that will go on the ceramic coil is pointing up) and load it. This piece then connects to the end of the ceramic heater.
Quickstart –Plug in the VaporBrothers.
- Turn on the unit with the black knob and set it between 12 and 1 o'clock on the dial and wait for at least 5 minutes.
- Grind up your herbs or tobacco. Grind them up finely but don’t overdo it.
- Load the filling chamber while you wait. You should fill it approximately 1/4 to 1/3 full. Do not overfill it. It is very important for air to be able to circulate.
- Fit the filling chamber over the ceramic heating coil carefully. You may want to tilt the wooden box so that the angle of the heating coil is such that nothing falls directly into the heating coil.
- Take a long slow inhale, hold for a few seconds and then exhale. You should see something that resembles mist or your breath on a cold day.
- Once you see vapor, continue using it until you don’t see any more vapor. You can either continue turning up the dial until you get no more vapor or stop there. You should usually get 5-7 good inhales before all the active ingredients have been vaporized.
- Unplug the VaporBrothers.
Cleaning:Cleaning the VaporBrothers is pretty simple. Separate the glass pieces from the tubing. Put it all in some Isopropyl or Rubbing Alcohol for an hour or so. Rinse off with water, dry, and reassemble. You may have to use a small scrub brush to get it thoroughly clean.
- BE CAREFUL! The ceramic heater will reach almost 400F when turned up all the way. Also, anything that touches that part will be extremely hot too. Please use caution when dealing with these hot parts.
- DON’T GET FRUSTRATED! Finding the right temperature / breath combination for the VaporBrothers is very important. The first few times you try it, you may not succeed very well. EXPECT IT. However, don’t give up. Experiment. Start by putting the dial around 12 or 1 o’clock and then inhaling very slowly. Did you see vapor? If not, try again. Sometimes you need to leave the tobacco /herb in there for a minute to heat up. Remember there is a relationship between inhale speed and temperature. If you are inhaling slowly, the air will be hotter and will “cook” your material more. On the other hand, if you are inhaling quickly, the air will not be as hot, so it won’t “cook” properly.
- TILT THE BOX! You can tilt the wooden box on any angle you want, so that the nothing falls into the heating coil.