Volcano Digit Review
Volcano Digit with Easy Valve System
Staff Review -- VapeNow.com
September 6th, 2007
This article sums up the Pros and Cons of the S&B Volcano Digit, one of the vaporizer market's top-of-the-line models. It also goes into detail about the different components of the system, cleaning, as well as some useful tips and tricks. We at VapeNow.com hope you find it helpful and informative.
Pros & Cons
- Patented Balloon and Valve system is a lot easier to use than other models, especial whip-style.
- The Easy Valve system is a huge improvement on the Solid Valve system. It really lives up to its name.
- Fast heat-up phase
- Extracts one of the highest percentage of active ingredients among all vaporizers
- Automatic turn-off.
- Digital display.
- Highly precise temperature control (~1.5*C)
- Specially designed so as not to be a fire hazard.
- Comes with a 2-Year Warranty.
THE BOTTOM LINE: Perhaps the best model on the market. The Volcano Classic was very well engineered and they have managed to improve upon it. The Easy Valve system wastes much less vapor meaning you get 5 balloons instead of the 3 balloons you typically get with the Classic. Again, the one word that sums it all up is efficiency. With very precise heat control and a great inhalation system the Volcano is very easy -- and satisfying -- to use.
- No direct inhale (many didn't mind this b/c they said the balloon system was better).
- Faster air pump means less vapor density
- Hot Air Generator:
The Hot Air Generator is the heart of the Volcano System. Inside it is the air pump, the air heater, and the temperature regulation. Use the '+' and '-' buttons to set the desired temperature. The desired temperature shows in green on the digital display, while the red is the actual temp. The orange light between the red power button and the green air pump button is the heating control indicator. It lights up when the heating element turns on to maintain or achieve a certain temperature. The Hot Air Generator the most delicate component of the system, so be careful with it. If something is not working, do NOT take off the silver cover -- doing that voids the warranty.
Dimensions: The Hot Air generator is 7" tall 7.5" in diameter at the base and 2" in diameter at the top/cone.
- Easy Valve Filling Chamber:
The Filling Chamber is black plastic with a blue rubber band around its metal tip, where the vapor comes out. Twist the two halves of the filling chamber in opposite directions to open it. There is a screen in the bottom half through which hot air is allowed. This is where you put your herbs or oils to be vaporized. This review was conducted with the standard (non-liquid) Filling Chamber. Grind up the herbs to a fine consistency -- higher surface area = better vapor -- and put them in the Filling Chamber. Twist the two halves back together again and you are ready to go. The Chamber clamps on to the black ring on top of the Volcano Hot Air Generator. Push down gently until it slips into place.
Dimensions: The inside of the Filling Chamber is 2.5" tall and 1.75" in diameter.
- Easy Valve Balloon and Mouthpiece:
The Easy Valve and Balloon are much easier to use than the older Solid Valve set-up. There are only two parts in the new Easy Valve system. The balloon comes pre-attached to an orange plastic valve that works as well as the Solid Valve, but is much simplier. The Mouthpiece is a piece of black plastic that just slips in and out of the Easy Valve. To fill the Balloon, simply take the Mouthpiece out and put the Valve on top of the Filling Chamber. To inhale the vapor, press the black plastic disc on the end of your lips like a trumpet -- no one likes slobber on their Mouthpiece -- and inhale. When the Mouthpiece is depressed, it opens the Valve and lets the vapor come out.
- Turn on the red switch and set the temperature to 375°F.
- Wait until the red digits on the display reach 375°F. While waiting, grind your favorite herbs and put them inside the Filling Chamber and close it.
Chart: Herb Types & Optimal Temperatures
- Once the orange control light is off, set the Filling Chamber on top of the Volcano.
- Turn the air pump on with the green button.
- Wait 3-5 seconds, then slide the Easy Valve/Balloon Assembly onto the tip of the Filling Chamber.
- Wait for the balloon to fill. Be careful, the Easy Valve Balloons are a lot less forgiving than the Sold Valve Ballons. They will pop if you leave them on to long!
- Turn off the air pump and slide the Valve off of the Filling Chamber.
- Slide the Mouthpiece into the Valve/Bag Assembly.
- Sit Back and inhale.
- Turn the Volcano Off (frequently overlooked). The good news is that the Digit has an automatic turn-off function, so if you leave it unused for more than 30 min it shuts itself down.
Note: Don't worry if the orange control light comes on during a run, it is just maintaining the temperature. Also, you can vaporize most herbs four or five times, just increase the temperature by 5°F for each successive run.
The great thing about the Easy Valve is that there is much less cleaning! When the Balloons start getting dirty and used up, usually around 100+ uses, you simply throw them out (each Easy Valve Starter Set comes with 5 replacement bags). If the Filling Chamber starts getting dirty, just dip it in some rubbing alcohol (the higher the percentage the better) for 10-20 minutes, then wipe it off with a paper towel, and you are back in business. You can also order replacement screens
for the Easy Valve Filling Chamber if you would like to.
- With the Easy Valve system, you can actually throw the balloon from person to person like a foxtail. It's not as fun as the Solid Valve because it is lighter, but it still sure beats moving!
- Get a good grinder with your Volcano if you plan to be using dry herbs. Grinding them up by hand is a headache. The Max or Maxine Grinders are good models, or a cheap coffee grinder works too.
Well, that's all I have on the S&B Volcano Digit. On deck for next week is the crtically acclaimed HerbalAire Vaporizer. Read the review and see how it stacks up against the Digit. Thanks for reading.
-- The VapeNow Staff